The T course at the Studienkolleg Darmstadt prepares prospective students for studies in the natural sciences and engineering at a university, university of applied sciences or technical college. In addition to teaching specialist knowledge, the focus in mathematics and the natural sciences is on introducing students to and providing training in scientific working methods and techniques which will help them to succeed independently in their studies.
The goals of the classes:
- Promoting abstract thinking skills
- Developing problem-solving strategies
- Promoting linguistic and specialist expertise by combining specialist theory with specialist language
- Promoting the ability to work together with other students in a group
These aspects are central to the introductory course in basic principles and specialist language, as well as group work.
The basic principles of the natural sciences are taught in the form of experimental lessons and exercises. Students carry out experiments and analyses to a certain extent independently with guidance in these classes, giving them the chance to apply the course material both theoretically and through experiments. Any deficits in students' knowledge of scientific methods, which are commonly seen among international students, are remedied in this way.
Students at the Studienkolleg are required to take part in all classes regularly and complete all final course examinations or projects by the deadlines specified. A doctor's note must be submitted promptly in the event of illness.
Exemption from German courses
Students at the Studienkolleg who have already completed the certificate Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang for international students (DSH-2) or an equivalent examination will be exempted from participation in the course German as a Foreign Language (DaF) and from the German examination after submitting a request, as long as they have completed the Feststellungsprüfung for the T course.
The following certificates are equivalent to DSH:
- Test-DaF-Zertifikat ( 4 x 4 )
- Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz, 2. Stufe (DSD Stufe 2/C1)
- Großes or Kleines Sprachdiplom from the Goethe Institute
- Goethe-Zertifikat C2
- Language certificates under bilateral agreements with other countries
- telc C1 Hochschule