Protected Learning Space
Our Studienkolleg offers a protected setting to prepare for academic studies in Germany and for an introduction to German culture. This is accomplished in small intercultural study groups with intensive guidance.
Our teachers and students deal with each other in a friendly manner characterised by mutual appreciation, respect, and tolerance. In this setting, different cultural backgrounds can be experienced as a source of mutual enrichment.
Committed Teaching and Learning
In addition to conveying sound specialised knowledge and methodological skills, our teachers provide support with settling into the students' new country of choice for their studies—Germany—and an initial orientation in the university environment.
Our students take the opportunity provided to them by making use of the range of courses offered in an increasingly responsible and independent manner, while continuously broadening their subject area-related, language, methodological, and social skills in order to successfully complete their studies in Germany.
Other valuable information…
- Intensive guidance at the Studienkolleg: Classes are taught by experienced teachers who provide intensive guidance and advice to the students. Class size is no more than 20 students, which enables interactive instruction and makes it possible to respond to the individual needs of the students. In addition, they already attend lectures at the TU Darmstadt in order to familiarise themselves with everyday life at university. Numerous info sessions, such as orientation day and academic advisory services, help to find one's way in the students' everyday life in Darmstadt.
- Tutorials and Phonetics Classes: Students have the possibility to improve their pronunciation and to thereby be more successful in communicating in German. Students attending the T course are provided with additional practising possibilities and guidance in the subjects of mathematics and physics.
- The Buddy Programme of the TU Darmstadt offers support after arrival in Germany, e. g. with finding accommodation and visits to authorities; the buddies (students in higher semesters) establish the first contact between the students from abroad and the students of a faculty at the TU Darmstadt, they facilitate the process of settling into life in Darmstadt and at the TU Darmstadt by joint activities, and they help with further advice during the semester.
- Key qualifications: In addition to subject area-related and language classes, key qualifications (soft skills) such as time management, project work and teamwork, and intercultural competence are supplemented and deepened by workshops.
- Student Status: Students attending the Studienkolleg are enrolled students and have student status. They are provided with a semester ticket for local public transport and can make use of the university canteen (“Mensa”), the library, extensive sports programmes, and many more offers at the respective college.
- Convenient Location: All classrooms of the Studienkolleg are accommodated in a separate building. Its convenient location near the main station makes it easy to travel to the city centre and to the surroundings, e. g. to Frankfurt, Mainz, Mannheim, Heidelberg, and Wiesbaden.
- TU Darmstadt: -- excellent research and teaching: The TU Darmstadt is a member of the , the network of Germany's leading Institutes of Technology. It stands for excellent research and teaching. In Germany's best-known comparison of colleges and universities, the TU9 association-Ranking, the TU-Darmstadt has constantly achieved very good positions among the top ranks. CHE
- Darmstadt, City of Science and Digitalisation: Darmstadt is the headquarters of numerous internationally important research institutions and companies with which the TU Darmstadt maintains scientific collaborations (e. g. ESA /ESOC – European Space Operations Centre, EUMETSAT – European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites; GSI Helmholtz Centre for Heavy Ion Research, Fraunhofer LBF – Institute for Structural Durability and System Reliability, Fraunhofer IGD – Institute for Computer Graphics Research, Fraunhofer SIT – Institute for Secure Information Technology; MERCK Pharmaceuticals, Deutsche Telekom).